Sunday, May 8, 2011

In Character

I just read Irve's post and realized that I was so engaged in our spectacle that I didn't really notice the audience/those that tried to ignore us. Should I have been more thoughtful about the audience, or is it good to be that "in character"?
I think that the mourning part of the spectacle was harder to participate in because we were not really interacting with the audience. When it came to the playing part, I think that there was excellent participation because we began interacting with the audience and our spectacle became more accessible.
Also, I loved that when Christopher was giving his eulogy we all had to sob extremely dramatically to cover up our laughter.

3 comments:

  1. Anda, I too was totally absorbed in our little mourning performance, and barely noticed who was ignoring us. Strangely, I felt very much "on stage" until the resurrection of play at the end, when it was much more interactive.

    I'm glad you all laughed at my eulogy! Not being an actor I wasn't really sure how to make a comic eulogy work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fact that you're not an actor is what made it work--you didn't try too hard to make it into something perfect and it came out authentically. I think that same thing happened for the whole spectacle, we just flowed with what happened, and it was spontaneous and true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the self-engrossation! After a while, I began to forget anything outside the funeral world and became very focused on playing with my character.

    ReplyDelete